I have a special treat for you today! Cherry Dollface – if there ever was a better fitting name- being the nice gal she is, answered ‘yes’ when I asked if I could interview her for my blog. A lot of people who are super busy and super awesome, can be super lame and turn down a request like mine. So you can imagine how excited I was when Cherry Dollface said she would gladly answer my questions.
A brief bio on the Miss Cherry Dollface- this lovely lady has it going on! She is a model, a hairstylist, a designer ( she collarboates with Rock Steady Clothing), a wife, and an inspiration to many a young women. Please check her out on facebook, youtube, her website, and instagram.
Now lets get to the questions….
1. What is your favorite beauty product?
Oh man! Too many to name! But I love Paul Mitchell Hair products, Big Sexy styling products, Makeup Forever makes amazing foundations, concealers and primers, and Bomber Betty lip products.
2. If you could give just one hair styling tip, what would it be?
Give your hair a rest!! Heat styling and using products everyday really takes its toll on your hair and you will end up with fried, lifeless hair. I give my hair a break every other day or as often as I can and just tie it in a top knot and leave it alone!
3. What is your most coveted piece of clothing? Why?
I have a pretty good collection of vintage 1950’s hawaaian dresses. They make me feel so tropical!
4. What do you think are the top 5 essentials to a pinup/rockabilly wardrobe?
A high waisted pencil skirt, a pair of peep toes, a pair of cuffed jeans, a good black cardigan, and at least one vintage dress!
5. What is your favorite brand/type of lipstick?
I have a line with Bomber Betty Cosmetics that I love! Hollywood Harlot is an amazing neutral red that looks great on everyone. ( get it here)
6. Any secret beauty tips you can give us for getting that perfect pin-up look?
Don’t cake your face with base makeup. Focus more on your red lips and cat eyes. You want to look sassy– but not masky!
7. How did you get into doing hair? Where did it all begin?
I started swing dancing when I was 14 and wanted to figure out how to do vintage styles to match the dancing and the clothes. It was before the internet existed so I just looked at old photos and tried my best to learn!
8. Essential pin-up hair styling tools?
A 3/4″ curling iron, a good hairspray, a setting spray, bobby pins, pin curl clips, and a teasing/smoothing comb.
9. Where is your favorite place to find great vintage?
Anywhere I can!! Ebay is a pretty trusty. Etsy is getting better. Unfortunately finding it local is too expensive.
10. With no bias here… what is your favorite reproductive brand and why?
Steady Clothing!! It is made in the USA, they have been around for 20 years, they make affordable items, and they fit amazingly well! I also design a new piece for them each season, but I was already a fan even before I started collaborating.
11. If you are getting all dolled up, what is your go to look?
I like variety!! I usually do the basic cat eyes and red lips, but I like to change up my shadow colors, add glitter, change my reds, etc. And I have a huge wardrobe so I wear all kinds of different things!
12. And the opposite, if you are dressing casual, what do you wear?
I am a jeans/shorts and a tank top kind of girl. I usually just wear my hair in a top knot and wear BB cream and mascara on my face.
13. When are you coming to Canada do teach us Canadian gals to do hair?
As soon as I find a place to host my class! All I need a space!
14. Any wise words you would like to pass on to pinup and rockabilly gals trying to make in a modern world?
Just be yourself. You don’t have to fit into a cookie cutter image of what you think rockabilly is. There is no ONE right way to be yourself, so have fun!
15. And whats next for Cherry Doll Face? Any upcoming events, etc?
Always touring! Check out my website for my latest events: cherrydollface.com
And just for fun…EITHER OR ( you can only pick one, which one will it be…)
1. RAMONES OR MISFITS
2. BLONDE OR REDHEAD
5. MARILYN OR BETTIE PAGE
6. WINE OR BEER
7. HEELS OR CONVERSE
depends on the day! converse mostly though
8. BOSTON TERRIER OR FRENCH BULLDOG
9. MAD MEN OR WALKING DEAD
10. FLY OR DRIVE
depends on my mood, but I live in the city
13. BEARD OR CLEAN SHAVEN
clean shaven always!
14. CHERRIES OR POLKA DOTS
15. QUALITY OR QUANTITY
16. ROLLER COASTER OR CARSOUSEL
17. STEAK OR TOFU
18. POLORAID OR DIGITAL
19. CHER OR MADONNA
20. POOL OR BEACH
A big Thank-You to Cherry Dollface for taking the time to answer my questions and share her wisdom with all of us. If you have yet to watch her you tube videos, what are you waiting for? Her tutorials are fantastic and she shares a lot of other fun tid-bits about her life, retro living, posing, and the works! Stay tuned to my blog for more awesome interviews and features! Thanks for reading.
*all photos taken from google.